Sunday 12 August 2012

Why you should check carbon arrows before you shoot....

Went to the club for this weekends shoot & any chances of shooting a personal best went out the window when I had to claim a miss as my arrow exploded 3 dozen in!




I shot my arrow as normal and although it sounded a little odd I had no idea what had just happened until I went up to score my arrows. There was a little rattle, as if my long rod was loose, but apart from that I was none the wiser. Half way up the field I heard my name being called  from near the shooting line and was amazed to see the nock end of my arrow being held up.... but with the rest of the arrow missing! The rest of the arrow had made it almost to the target - shame I would have loved to claim a score with half an arrow! 

As far as I am aware the arrow hasn't been shot into the wood bit of the target, though as it would have been shot from my new bow, it may have been buried in the ground during sight marking testing. The bow appears to be fine and there are no marks to suggest that I shot the arrow wrong/ie not on launcher etc. It is amazing to think that just shooting an arrow that is week (for what ever reason) can snap it in two, with even the metal on the inside being bent!

A little note if this happens to you - don't touch the broken bits as the carbon arrows can give you very nasty splinters.

Just have to hope that this doesn't happen at the competition next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment